Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Firecrest v Goldcrest














Firecrest








Goldcrest

The Goldcrest our smallest British bird at 8.5 - 9.5cm and the Firecrest a migrant measuring in at 9 - 10cm are two little gems, proving that some of our smallest birds can just be as magnificent as some of our bigger species. I took a trip to Spurn Point were I came across these to birds side by side. This week there has been a large influx of Firecrests along the east coast with Spurn having up to 8 on one single day and also 7 birds recorded at Flamborough Head.
I love both of these birds but it has to be said that the Firecrest is just an amazing bird, which looks like it has been hand painted. Both species are very hard to photograph, hardly staying still for a second, constantly on the move looking for insects and grubs. Let me know which is your favourite out of the two by voting on my poll which is situated on the top right column of my blog.
Also seen at Spurn Point where: Northern Wheatear, Black Redstart, Barn Swallow, Marsh Harrier, Brent Goose, Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, Bar Tailed Godwit, Grey Plover, Sanderling, Knot, Turnstone, Redshank, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover and Curlew.

2 comments:

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Nice series of shots Steve.
I have never seen Firecrest as a newer birder.
Close to Firecrest at Flamborough last Saturday but missed it and could not stop with relatives!
Like Brent shots too.
Mike

Steve Race said...

This was my fourth meeting with a Firecrest Mike. The first time was at Spurn in 1985, the second last year at Crook Ness, Burniston, the third the bird on my blog, again at Spurn, and I did manage to see the Firecrest at Flamborough last week. I am sure you will catch up with one soon and have fun trying to capture some images.